Monday, June 13, 2011

Mackenzie's Big Graduation!

My cousin, Kenzie graduated from high school a couple of weeks ago and I had the opportunity to make her cake. I've made only 1 other cake and that was Ansley's first birthday cake. I learned then, I knew NOTHING about tall cakes, so since then, I've taken a cake decorating class to just learn the correct techniques. I by no means, am an expert now, but I feel like I have a better handle on what I'm doing. It took me WAY longer to make this cake than I had intended (staying up all night Thursday night was not fun).  Meanwhile, I verified my sneaking suspension that my new oven does not bake properly and that my gumpaste numbers were not going to dry because I made them too large.  After round 2 on the gumpaste "2011" and about 3 cakes ruined because I underbaked them....I realized I'd be pretty happy with ANY outcome at that point! So a couple things I've learned during this time intensive process...it's much more stressful to make a cake for someone else rather than yourself AND multi-leveled cakes are no small feat!  Oh, and have someone clean up the aftermath (thanks mom!).  However, it is really fun to see how it all comes together in the end!
Here are a few pictures....the first one is from the night before the party (the final touches have not been made)
Mackenzie's request:  Zebra and purple
(She has been in love with the color purple since birth...not joking, she was like 2 when she said she wanted to be a nun and drive a purple convertible!)
Kenzie with the finished product!
That thing was heavy!  Can you tell I lost some sleep over that thing?! 
Kenzie was really happy with it and that's all that matters!  However, Jason has requested that he be asked before any more cakes are made for anybody else...I get just a little crazy in the kitchen with the mess and my attitude. HA! 

1 comment:

Erika Slaughter said...

Sarah!!! That cake looks AMAZING!! Too bad I live so far away or I'd be requesting cakes! ha!