Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Our busy and beautiful Saturday of skating with Ansley!

Oh the joy!!!  We took Ansley to Steinberg ice rink in Forest Park for her first skating experience.  I know what you're thinking...she's only 19 months...what in the world are you thinking?!  But I couldn't stand not to!  The weather has been wonderful and there's nothing better than a beautiful day at the outdoor rink at Steinberg!  It is breathtaking and so invigorating!  I could think of a million things I needed to do at home, but who wants to do that on a gorgeous Saturday?!  My long-time friend, Kristen was going with her brother and sister-in-law and their little girl, so I decided we would join in on the fun.  Pam and Rick had decided to go shopping in St. Louis that day too, so we carpooled together.  My parents didn't want to miss Ansley's first time ice skating, so they drove up and straight back(4 hours total) for the skating adventure.  Can you tell they were excited?  She had lots of fan support!
When we arrived, we went straight to getting her little size 7 skates on (the smallest they come in).  It took a little coaxing to get her to put them on...at first she tucked her feet underneath her and refused.  But after watching me lace mine up she had decided that it was ok.  Whew!  I thought we had made a trip to St. Louis for nothing.  When we got her skates all laced up and helped her to her feet, I was seriously giddy!  Now for the true test....would she even get on the ice?  After years of coaching and watching little ones, half of them refused to step on, but not little Ansley!  She was ready and willing!  It was absolute joy to see that little thing skating in those skates!  Well, marching and gliding.  I'm sure it sounds so strange, but I started skating at 2 and continued into my mid 20s....it was definitely exciting to see my little offspring enjoying it!  We made several laps (me holding onto her hands at first and then eventually holding the hood on her coat.  She would march like I instructed and seriously did not want to get off!  The zamboni needed to clean the ice and she fussed as I lifted her off..."mommy...ice....ice".  Oh my!  We are in for it!
Here are a few pictures that my friend Kristen took during our afternoon.  It was so great to have her there!  It was just like old times...only now, we are old and ache after even the smallest jumps and spins! Ha!  I guess that's what happens!
Our first little round on the ice! Do you understand why my back hurt?
Family pic 
Zea and Ansley  
My friend, Kristen took a few spins with Ansley 
Toepick! 

My parents skated too.  I begged Pam and Rick to skate, but they just wanted to watch Ansley.   
           What a day!  I was so proud of my little skater!  I'm sure there will be many more skating days ahead!

1 comment:

Ashley Tanksley said...

Oh my goodness! How cute! What a fun day with your family. I couldn't stop smiling when I read this post! So fun!